A Brief History
Stretching back over a century ago, the residents of Dell Rapids beat the South Dakota heat with a dip in the Big Sioux River. The first bathhouses were made of wood in 1914 (one still exists today located at 1st and Clark). In 1934 a rose quartzite bathhouse, was built as a civil works project. On the Shore of the Big Sioux river, just south of the swimming pool, this is the only remaining monument to one of the most popular swimming beaches in the state.
In 1960 river swimming gave way to a public swimming pool. Located just north of the historic bathhouse, and for the last 50 years the Dell Rapids Swimming Pool has been a favorite summer spot for residents and visitors alike.
In 2008 the City of Dell Rapids built a new bath house to meet the growing needs of the swimming public.